Successful inaugural Idaho Barley Crop Field Short Course held for Craft Brewers on July 14-15 .
We hosted 31 people associated with the U.S. craft brewing industry and barley research community for a 2-day short course on Idaho barley and malt on July 14-15, 2014 in Idaho Falls, Victor and Pocatello, Idaho. Here is a link to technical presentations on the 2014 Idaho barley crop, history of the Idaho malting barley contracting, ARS malting barley variety development program, barley best management practices and malt processing 101.
- Course Presentations:
· 2-row All Malt Barley Breeding Effort at Aberdeen - Current and Future Directions - Gongshe Hu, USDA-ARS
· Specialty Malt for Craft Brewers - Tevis Vance, Great Western Malting Co.
· 2014 Idaho Barley Trends - Kelly Olson, Idaho Barley Commission
· Some Malting Barley History South Idaho - Randy Neiwirth, Great Western Malting Co.
· Best Management Practices: Back to the Basics for Best Barley - Juliet Marshall, University of Idaho